Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)
The Silver Pheasant is a large majestic pheasant native to China and southeast Asia. There are 15 subspecies that live in a diversity of habitats from grasslands to forests. It is well established and a very popular aviary bird.
- Altitudinal differences in habitat use by Siamese Fireback Lophura diardi and Silver Pheasant Lophura nycthemera in Khao Yai National Park, Thailand - © 2009 World Pheasant Association. International Journal of Galliformes Conservation, 1, 18-22
- Changes in the Status of Lophura Pheasants in Khao Yai National Park, Thailand: A Response to Warming Climate? - © 2007 The Author(s) Journal compilation © 2007 by The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
- Comparison of roosting habitat characteristics of two sympatric pheasants during springtime at Dazhong Mountain, southwestern China - © Chinese Birds 2010, 1(2):132-140
- Hybrid origin of the Imperial Pheasant Lophura imperialis (Delacour and Jabouille, 1924) demonstrated by morphology, hybrid experiments, and DNA analyses - © Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2003, 80, 573-600.
- Mitochondrial DNA diversification among the subspecies of the Silver and Kalij Pheasants, Lophura nycthemera and L. leucomelanos, Phasianidae - © 2003 British Ornithologists' Union, Ibis, 145 (online), E1-E11
- Phylogeography of Silver Pheasant Lophura nycthemera across China: Aggregate effects of refugia, introgression and riverine barriers - © 2013 Dong, Lu & Heckel, Gerald & Liang, Wei & Zhang, Yanyun. Molecular Ecology. 22. 10.1111/mec.12315.
The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer, but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. - William Beebe, 1906
We depend on our programs & donations to help fund the care and housing for our animals, most of which are either rescues or surrenders. We seem to be always taking in new animals that need a home or different situation, their care adds up. If you would like to help support Animal Wonders, it would be greatly appreciated. We are always in need of donations, caging material, lumber, crates, aquariums, straw, & newspapers.